Ulster Bank offers a Northern Ireland based basic personal UK bank account aimed at individuals who either want a simple bank account or who have an adverse credit history and are struggling to get an account elsewhere. Their Step Account provides most of the facilities one would normally expect to get with a personal current account including a Visa debit card, but doesn’t provide a cheque book or overdraft.
Ulster Bank is part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS Group) which also includes NatWest and The Royal Bank of Scotland. Consequently this account is almost identical to the basic accounts offered by NatWest and The Royal Bank of Scotland.
What the Ulster Bank Foundation Account offers:
- A basic personal account for those resident in the UK and suitable for those who live in Northern Ireland. It is for individuals aged over 18 only.
- Most adverse credit accepted.
- 88 branches in Northern Ireland.
- Contactless debit card (called the debitCARD) issued.
- Withdraw cash from any Ulster Bank, Easy Cash, Royal Bank of Scotland or NatWest ATM in the UK free of charge. It is also possible to withdraw cash from any other ATM in the UK but there may be a fee for using some of them. The ATM will indicate if this is the case before the withdrawal is carried out.
- Many cash machines at supermarkets in the UK are also owned by RBS Group banks.
- Withdraw cash over the counter at any Ulster Bank branch free of charge where one can also pay in cash and deposit cheques (lodgement book provided).
- Withdraw cash and obtain balance enquiries from UK Post Offices.
- Obtain cashback from UK retailers that offer it.
- Use the Visa debitCARD to make payments for goods and services and withdraw cash worldwide where the Visa logo appears (fees apply).
- Direct Debits and Standing Orders.
- Telephone, Internet and mobile banking (including text alerts).
- Paper or online statements.
- Joint accounts allowed.
- Open in branch, online or by phone.
- The account has no charges when run correctly.
- No overdrafts are available.
- No cheque book is issued.
- No CIFAS fraud flags are allowed.
- No undischarged bankrupts.
- Cannot make deposits at a Post Office.
- An ‘unpaid item fee’ is payable should the payment of a Direct Debit or Standing Order be presented without sufficient funds being available. This fee will not be charged more than 10 times in any charging period.
If the Visa debitCARD is lost or stolen then it is possible to gain access to emergency cash of between £60 and £300 from a UK cash machine. Telephone or online banking customers can obtain up to £300, otherwise it is up to £60. Cleared funds of at least £25 must be available in the account to use the emergency cash service.
Proof of identity, a signature and proof of address must be provided.
No interest is paid on this account.
Some of the fees for this Ulster Bank Foundation Account include:
Unpaid item fee £10 for each item (the charge will not be more than £100 in any charging period).
Getting a bank draft £15.
Getting a special clearance for a cheque £13.
Copy of statement £10.
Banker’s reference £10 plus VAT.
Click on button below to go to Ulster Bank Foundation Account page.