The Royal Bank of Scotland offers a basic personal UK bank account that provides a Visa debit card plus most of the facilities one usually gets with a standard current account. It doesn’t, however, provide an overdraft or cheque book. It is aimed at those individuals who may have previous bad credit and are having difficulty getting an account or who may just want a simple and easy to operate UK bank account.
The Royal Bank of Scotland plc is part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group (RBS Group) which also includes NatWest and Ulster Bank. Consequently this account is almost identical to the basic account offered by NatWest and very similar to the Step Account offered by Ulster Bank.
What The Royal Bank of Scotland offers:
- A basic personal account for those resident in the UK. It is for individuals aged over 18 only.
- Most adverse credit history accepted.
- Over 650 branches in the UK. Most are in Scotland although some are in the larger towns and cities of England and Wales.
- Visa debit card.
- Withdraw up to £300 per day from any Royal Bank of Scotland, NatWest or Ulster Bank ATM in the UK. Many cash machines at supermarkets are also owned by RBS Group banks. These are the only ATMs in the UK where it is possible to withdraw cash.
- Withdraw cash over the counter at any RBS branch free of charge.
- Pay in cash and deposit cheques over the counter at any RBS branch.
- Use any UK Post Office to withdraw cleared funds (up to £500 per day) and to obtain balance enquiries.
- Obtain cashback from UK retailers that offer it.
- Use Visa debit card to make payments worldwide and withdraw cash overseas (subject to fees).
- Direct Debits and Standing Orders.
- Internet and telephone banking.
- Branch and mobile banking.
- Paper or online statements.
- Buffer zone of £6. Unarranged overdrafts of up to £6 will not incur any charges or fees.
- The account has no charges when run properly.
- No overdrafts are available.
- There is no cheque book issued.
- No CIFAS fraud flags are allowed.
- No undischarged bankrupts.
- Cannot withdraw cash from ATMs in the UK that are not owned by the RBS Group.
- Cannot make (cash or cheque) deposits at a Post Office.
- An ‘unpaid item fee’ is payable should payment of a Direct Debit or Standing Order be presented without sufficient funds being available.
If the Visa debit card is lost or stolen it is possible to obtain emergency cash of between £60 and £300 from a UK cash machine. Telephone or online banking customers can obtain up to £300, otherwise it is up to £60. There must be at least £25 in the account to use this service.
New customers will be asked to provide proof of identity, a signature and verification of address.
No interest is paid on the account.
Some of the fees for this Royal Bank of Scotland basic account include:
Returned item fee £6 (maximum of £60 in any charging period).
Issuing a UK bank draft (Sterling) £10.
Special presentation of a cheque £15.
CHAPS electronic transfer of funds £20.
Banker’s reference £10.
Click on button below to go to The Royal Bank of Scotland Basic Account page.