NatWest (which is part of The Royal Bank of Scotland Group) offers a basic personal UK bank account that provides a Visa debit card, online and telephone banking as well as Standing Orders and Direct Debits. It is aimed at those who want a no frills account or who may have a previous bad credit history. It is for individuals who are at least 18 years old. Proof of ID and address is required.
What NatWest offers:
- A basic personal account for those resident in the UK.
- Most bad credit accepted.
- More than 1500 branches in the UK.
- Visa debit card.
- Direct Debits and Standing Orders.
- Internet and telephone banking.
- Mobile and branch banking.
- Ability to withdraw up to £300 per day from RBS Group ATMs (NatWest, The Royal Bank of Scotland and Ulster Bank in Northern Ireland). No other ATMs in the UK can be used.
- Debit card can be used to make payments worldwide (online, by phone, in a shop) and withdraw cash from foreign ATMs outside the UK and Gibraltar which display the Visa logo (the owners of these cash machines may charge a fee).
- Withdraw up to a maximum of £500 per day from UK Post Offices where one can also obtain a balance enquiry.
- Withdraw cash over the counter at any NatWest branch.
- Pay in cash and deposit cheques at any NatWest branch.
- Get cashback from UK retailers.
- Paper or online statements.
- Buffer zone of £10 (no charges if payment(s) from the account creates an unarranged overdraft of less than £10).
- The account has no charges when run properly.
- No overdrafts are available and there is no cheque book with the account.
- No CIFAS fraud flags are allowed.
- No undischarged bankrupts.
- No withdrawals of cash from non-RBS Group ATMs in the UK.
- No deposits of cash or cheques can be made at UK Post Offices.
- An ‘unpaid item fee’ is payable should payment of a Direct Debit or Standing Order be presented without sufficient funds being available in the account.
If the Visa debit card is stolen or lost it is possible to obtain emergency cash of between £60 and £300 from a cash machine in the UK. Online or telephone banking customers can obtain up to £300, otherwise it is up to £60. There must be at least £25 in the account to use this service.
No credit balance interest is paid on the account.
Some of the fees for this NatWest basic account include:
Returned item fee £6 (£60 max. in any charging period).
UK Sterling bank draft £12.
Electronic transfer of funds (CHAPS) £21/23.
Special cheque presentation £15.
Banker’s reference £10.
The micro site for this account is here.
Click on button below to go to NatWest Basic Account page.