This is a basic UK personal current account from Santander UK which is part of the Spanish Santander Group. Santander UK came into being as a result of taking over the Abbey National in 2010. A Visa debit card and cash card is provided (previously just a cash card was issued) which can be used to manage this simple account at any Santander ATM machine or branch in the UK. Applicants must be aged 16 or over. The account is designed for those who want a simple easy way to manage their money or for those who might not be able to get a fully featured current account because of their bad credit history.
What Santander offers:
- A basic personal account for those resident in the UK.
- Most bad credit accepted.
- One of UK’s largest banks with branches (over 1000) in most areas of the UK.
- Visa debit card (and cash card) that can be used to withdraw cash from Santander ATMs, Santander branches and LINK ATMs anywhere in the UK free of charge. Note: If cash is withdrawn over the counter at a UK Santander branch then it must be for at least £300.
- Withdraw cash and get a balance enquiry as well as pay in cash or cheques at any UK Post Office.
- Deposit cheques and cash using your card at any Santander branch and at some Santander branch cash machines in the UK.
- Obtain a balance enquiry at any Santander branch.
- Online and telephone banking.
- Online banking users can also receive free email and text message account alerts.
- Direct Debits and Standing Orders.
- Pay in salary or benefits.
- Pay in cheques in a foreign currency.
- Online or paper statements.
- No monthly fees.
- The account has no charges when run correctly.
- No cheque book is available. Neither is an arranged overdraft facility.
- Visa debit card is not contactless.
- No interest is paid.
- A maximum of only £10,000 can be kept in the account.
- No CIFAS fraud flags are permitted.
- No undischarged bankrupts.
- The bank may refuse accounts to those who already have another UK current account. Cannot already have a current account with Santander.
- An ‘Unpaid Item Fee’ of £25 is payable if there isn’t enough money in the account to pay a Direct Debit or Standing Order.
Proof of ID and address is required.
Some of the fees for this Santander basic account include:
Unpaid Item Fee £25.
Counter cheque (must be for value>£1000) £10.
Banker’s draft £10.
International payments/CHAPS £25.
Foreign cheque presentation £10 each.
Cash withdrawals abroad/purchase of foreign currency 1.5% (min £1.99).
Click on button below to go to Santander Basic Current Account page.