Danske Bank is a Danish owned bank that operates in many countries including Northern Ireland with over 400,000 customers there. This is the arm of the bank that offers the account we are interested in. This bank was known as Northern Bank in Northern Ireland until it was re-branded Danske. They offer a basic personal UK bank account which provides a Mastercard debit card. The account is available to individuals over 18 who are permanent residents of Northern Ireland. However, the account can be operated through any UK Post Office once opened. It is aimed at those who may have adverse credit or just want a simple account to pay in wages or benefits.
What Danske Bank (Northern Ireland) offers:
- A basic personal account for those who are permanent residents of Northern Ireland. All branches (more than 60) are in Northern Ireland.
- Most bad credit accepted.
- Mastercard Debit card.
- Standing Orders and Direct Debits can be set up free of charge.
- eBanking (online banking), telephone and branch banking.
- Deposit cash at any UK Post Office or Danske Bank branch using the Mastercard Debit card.
- Deposit Sterling cheques drawn on a UK bank at Danske Bank branches or Northern Ireland only Post Offices.
- Weekly balance available by e-mail or text.
- Withdraw up to £350 cash per day using the Mastercard Debit card at any UK Post Office (where balance enquiries can also be obtained) or Danske Bank branch counter (max. of 4 free withdrawals per month, then a charge of 70p per withdrawal applies). Withdrawals of up to £350 per day can also be made at any ATM displaying the Mastercard symbol in the UK and abroad. Although most ATMs in the UK are free to use, some may charge a fee for withdrawals.
- Pay for goods and services in shops, online and on the phone using the Mastercard Debit card.
- Online/paper statements. Paper statements are sent monthly if any payment transactions have been made otherwise it is every 6 months.
- No overdrafts are available and there is no cheque book.
- No CIFAS fraud flags are allowed.
- No undischarged bankrupts.
- Only available to permanent residents of Northern Ireland.
- An ‘unpaid fee’ of £15 per item (£45 per calendar month max.) is payable should a Direct Debit or Standing Order payment be refused due to there being insufficient funds available in the account.
- Only 4 cash withdrawals can be made at a bank branch counter per month free of charge. Any subsequent branch counter withdrawals will cost 70p each.
The Mastercard Debit card can be used worldwide.
Proof of ID and address is required. Available to individuals only.
No interest is paid on the account.
Some of the fees for this Danske Bank basic account include:
Bank Giro credit payment Free-£8.
Banker’s draft £10.
Special presentation of cheque £10.
Order of foreign currency through eBanking service Free.
Foreign currency withdrawal (cash and purchases) using Maestro Debit card 2.75%.
Banker’s reference £10.
CHAPs transfer £24.
Click on button below to go to Danske Bank Basic Banking account page.